Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sugarless

steel cut oatmeal, peaches and blueberries with some very green powder mixed in
The newest diet is sugar-free.  Well, rather, refined sugar-free.  I can have fruit and other natural sugars, but in an effort to reduce the inflammation (and the discomfort it causes), I have decided to eliminate all of those non-natural sugary foods from my diet (temporarily).  And honestly, it's nowhere near as restrictive as the Green Diet (which I failed to stay on for more than 3 days), so I am feeling pretty successful.

banana.  whip it.  whip whip it real good.
(photo c/o serial baker)
I was nervous about last weekend, when we stayed at the beach for a few days.  I knew we'd be visiting the boardwalk, the ice cream man would be walking up and down the shore, hauling his sweet and cold wares...  How would I be able to resist a classic soft serve in a cone with chocolate magic shell coating?  My answer:  Banana Whip.  You may be unfamiliar with this amazing deliciousness.  So let me be the first to tell you what's in it.  Bananas.  That's it.  Frozen bananas get put through this whipping/grinding/masher type machine which turns them into a banana soft serve.  Of course, you could get toppings sprinkled, but I like to enjoy the frozen banana crystals on their own.  It's a perfect solution, even if you do have to drive to New Jersey to get it.

Honestly, while I know I would really enjoy a doughnut (also hard to pass up at Juniors, where they sell Banana Whip in Margate, NJ), or a loaded brownie, or even just a whole wheat chocolate chip cookie straight out of the oven (thanks again, Shir), I find it's not that hard to say no.

brown rice cakes, almond butter and pureed strawberries
I always feel a little gross after a sugar binge, so the fact that it's just not an option reminds me that I don't want to feel gross.  Honestly, I already feel sluggish and bleh, adding more muck to the mix doesn't sound like a spectacular idea.

While at home, I am big on cutting up a ripe mango, mixing in a few spoonfuls of greek yogurt (full fat, baby), then sprinkling sunflower seeds and maybe a small drizzle of macadamia nut honey on top.  That was tonight's dessert.  SO good, I could've eaten 3 more bowls.  Sadly, I must wait for the other mangoes to ripen.
VERY PINK

I've gotten back to my Deceptively Delicious ways as well.  I know this cookbook caused quite a stir when it was first released.  In my opinion, it's a great way for me to get more vegetables into the foods I eat with my family.  I do not deceive my child into thinking there aren't healthy ingredients in his food.  However, I ask for his help in the preparations (if I have the patience), and he sees the pureed cauliflower and beets that are required for some of our favorite recipes.

not AS pink, but more delicious after being cooked
Last night, we gobbled up the pink pancakes (pureed roasted beets, ricotta, grated apple, cinnamon, vanilla, water and w.w. pancake mix) topped with raspberries and some organic maple syrup.  I will admit, when I cut back on sugar, I tend to make healthier choices that keep me full for long periods of time.  Breakfast on the run this morning (as I dashed off to have just half of my cavities filled...) was just an apple cut up and slathered in almond butter, the freshly ground kind from WF.  Really yummy and I wasn't hungry until 1 (by which time the novocain had worn off and I could attempt to chew foods without tearing apart the inside portion of my cheek).

While I still can't see myself going vegan (Sorry, Kris Carr, I like yogurt and feta and sometimes even chicken), I can try to get more veggies into my diet and less crap.  Next up:  adventures in juicing...

xxoo

PS. My apologies.  I am not a food photographer.

5 comments:

  1. You know what's funny? I was eating full fat greek yogurt (well, strained regular yogurt) and then switched to nonfat and I've gained weight! I think it's because I need to eat again sooner and don't pick a healthy option usually. Have you tried putting your mangoes in a lunch bag? It will help them ripen faster. Also, I'm a HUGE fan of champagne mangoes (ataulfo?)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mia! I like banana whip, too. There's a bw place on the Ocean City NJ boardwalk. Banana smoothies, anyone? Amy L.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan Isaacsohn BurkhardtAugust 4, 2011 at 7:17 AM

    Mia the pictures are unfortunately great, now I want my apple with almond butter and a banana whip! I wonder if the Tropical Smoothie store can do this, I intend to find out.
    BTW I am a friend of your Mom, went to school with her and she sends me your blog. All I can say is you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They make a machine that does this at home! It is called a yonana. (No, it isn't named after your mom :)). It seems like a gimmick, but my sister Erin's vegan friend has one... if you end up sticking with the sugar-free thing, we can ask her if it is worth the purchase. I've also done similar things with frozen bananas in a good blender...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much-- I really appreciate it! (o:

    ReplyDelete