Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Details, Details

Gross Alert: If you are squeamish, you may want to skim this post.

I am thrilled to announce that the two scabs on my feet have finally healed and fallen off!! Let me explain. I don't know if I wrote before about one of my NHL symptoms: major itching. It started a few months ago, under my armpits (I thought I had developed an allergy to my deodorant) and somewhat quickly spread to full body itching. I saw a dermatologist (along with my acupuncturist and massage therapist) who prescribed Allegra and everyone pretty much thought the itching was due to anxiety (fertility stress can do a number on the mind and body). I tried all kind of lotions, sesame oil, oatmeal baths... nothing helped.

Fast forward a few months to the beginning of my diagnosis process and I was still pretty itchy. When I say itchy, I mean, I imagined myself getting some relief from standing in a prickly car wash and being scrubbed from head to toe. What I really did (besides using hairbrushes and begging my husband for forceful back scratches) was rub the tops of my feet on Judah's carpet to try to satisfy the itch. What I didn't realize was that I was scratching so hard, I created blisters (perfectly placed at just the spot where that in-between-the-toe piece on my flip flops hits). That was over a month ago. I guess chemo makes everything heal a bit slower and I've been waiting and waiting for these gross scabs to heal.

Another joyous thing that happened today is I shaved my legs! This may not sound like the thrill of a lifetime for most people, but it feels post-worthy for me. With all of my hair loss, why isn't the leg hair gone? I shouldn't complain because I still have my eyebrows (for now) and losing them is something I'm fearing. For now, the Dansky eyebrows rule...

2 comments:

  1. Well, frankly, I'm thrilled to hear about retreating scabs, loads of leg hair and determined eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when we first shaved? Your mom was sooo mad at me!! If I knew then that I'd be doing it forever I might have waited a little longer! Sending love to you!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete