Monday, October 4, 2010

Participation in Survivor Nation

When Dan mentioned to me that he wanted to join the Light the Night Walk for the LLS (Leukemia and Lymphoma Society) a month or two ago, I told him he was nuts.  To think about fund raising, when we weren't even through with treatment yet was simply mad, right?  He is already over-worked, under-slept and under-appreciated for all of the hours he puts in to take care of me, Judah, Mooshu and the house (all while doing a very nice job of spending a good deal of quality time with his in-laws...).  To add another thing to worry about keeping track of?  Oy.

But then I got an email about the event the other day from LLS and started to think it might not be such a bad idea after all.  If I don't join in on this walk, I have to wait until next Fall to participate in a big event as a survivor.  I don't want to wait that long (remember the whole patience issue?).  So, while I don't expect to raise a great deal of funds for LLS (although they do an amazing job of supporting patients and families during treatment and connecting people with clinical trials and certainly deserve major funding), I thought I'd put it out there in case anyone feels so inclined to donate to this local chapter (Eastern Pennsylvania).

It's only recently that I've learned about how much money is needed to increase awareness - for clinical trials, about how many people's lives are affected by blood cancers, of how much support is truly needed to help just one family through a time of crisis - and dealing with money (i.e. marketing, fund raising, etc.) is not one of my strengths (unless you count spending it - I'm really good at that).

The Light the Night Walk will take place on October 23rd, registration starting at 4:30 pm, walking and ceremonies lasting until approx. 7:30 pm at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  I am hoping to have the energy to walk (they say it takes about an hour at a leisurely pace), but we'll have the stroller for Judah (wink, wink) just in case.  I just hope it's warm enough that I can go comfortably bald. 

If you are interested in joining us - for the walk or as a sponsor (seriously, no donation too small) - please click here for further information:  Team Mama Mia's Light the Night

Thanks again to everyone for all the love and encouragement you've shown over these past few months. 

xxoo

2 comments:

  1. It is a great organzation, I've been doing the walk for years. My boss's son had Leukemia ehen he was just 2 yrs old and that's when I started walking. Chester County (where I live) just had their walk this past weekend. The first year I carried the red ballon for his son, but since I just walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's You and Judah, and the 'Answer'(Dan)
    who light us up!
    We'll see if LLS is in Rogue Valley.
    all the Love, GG and Uncle

    ReplyDelete